Storage units are perfect for storing cigars safely
Storage units in Kannapolis NC can help you keep cigars in the best condition. For cigar enthusiasts, maintaining the quality and freshness of their prized collection is of paramount importance. Many cigar enthusiasts often wonder if self-storage units are a viable option for storing their cigars. In this article, we will explore whether self-storage units are suitable for cigar storage, the types of storage units to consider, and whether it is safe to store cigars in an outdoor self-storage facility.
Climate-Controlled Storage Units:
When it comes to storing cigars, maintaining proper temperature and humidity levels is crucial to preserving their quality. Cigars are sensitive to fluctuations in temperature and humidity, which can lead to drying out or mold growth. For this reason, a climate-controlled storage unit is the ideal choice.
Climate-controlled storage units are equipped with heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, ensuring a constant temperature and humidity level. The recommended conditions for storing cigars are a temperature between 65-70°F (18-21°C) and a humidity level of 65-70%. With a climate-controlled unit, you can rest assured that your cigars will be kept in an environment that mimics the optimal conditions of a well-maintained humidor.
Humidity Monitoring and Regulation:
Besides choosing a climate-controlled unit, it’s essential to monitor and regulate humidity levels within the storage space. Investing in a quality digital hygrometer and humidification device is crucial. These tools will help you keep track of the humidity level and add or remove moisture as needed to maintain the ideal range.
Proper Packaging and Organization:
Before storing cigars in a self-storage unit, ensure they are well-packaged to protect them from damage and contamination. Place cigars in airtight, sealed containers or individual plastic bags. Using a cedar-lined cigar box or a dedicated humidor within the storage unit can provide additional protection and enhance the aging process.
Organize your cigars in a way that allows proper air circulation to prevent mold growth. Avoid placing cigars directly against the walls of the unit and create ample space between boxes or containers.
Security is another critical factor to consider when storing cigars in a self-storage unit. Choose a reputable storage facility that offers 24/7 surveillance, access control systems, and secure locks. The security measures will protect your valuable collection from theft and unauthorized access.
Is it Safe to Store Cigars in an Outside Self Storage Unit?
While indoor, climate-controlled storage units are preferable for storing cigars, an outdoor storage unit may still be an option, depending on the climate and environmental conditions of the area. However, several additional challenges and risks come with outdoor storage:
- Temperature and Humidity Fluctuations: Outdoor units are more exposed to weather conditions, which can result in significant temperature and humidity fluctuations. Extreme heat, cold, or high humidity levels can negatively impact cigars.
- Pests and Rodents: Outdoor storage units may be more susceptible to pests and rodents, which could damage or contaminate the cigars.
- Weather Hazards: Inclement weather, such as heavy rain or snow, can seep into the storage unit, potentially damaging the cigars.
- Limited Climate Control Options: While some outdoor storage facilities might offer climate-controlled options, they are generally not as effective as indoor units.
Additional tips for storing cigars in storage units
- Regular Inspection: Make it a habit to visit your storage unit periodically to inspect the condition of your cigars. Check the humidity levels, ensure that the humidification devices are functioning correctly, and monitor for any signs of mold or pest infestation. Regular inspection allows you to address any issues promptly, preserving the quality of your collection.
- Rotate Your Cigars: If you have a sizable collection, consider rotating your cigars periodically. By taking out cigars that have been in storage for a while and replacing them with fresh ones, you ensure that all cigars get equal aging time and exposure to the controlled environment.
- Avoid Strong Odors: Keep your cigars away from items with strong odors, as cigars can easily absorb surrounding scents. Strong smells from other items in the storage unit can affect the flavor of your cigars, ruining the smoking experience.
- Maintain an Inventory: Keep a detailed inventory of your cigar collection, noting the date of purchase, brand, and any other relevant information. This inventory will help you keep track of the aging process and make informed decisions about which cigars to smoke and when.
- Insurance Coverage: Consider obtaining insurance coverage for your stored cigars to protect against any unforeseen incidents, such as theft, fire, or water damage. Verify with the storage facility if they offer insurance options, or check with your own insurance provider to see if cigar collection coverage is available.
In conclusion, self-storage units can be a safe and viable option for storing cigars, as long as certain precautions are taken. Opt for a climate-controlled unit that allows you to maintain the ideal temperature and humidity levels, and invest in monitoring and regulation tools to ensure a stable environment. Organize and package your cigars properly to protect them from damage and contamination, and choose a reputable storage facility with adequate security measures.
While outdoor storage units may be an option, indoor, climate-controlled units offer superior conditions for preserving the quality and longevity of your cigars. It’s essential to be mindful of the challenges and risks associated with outdoor storage, such as temperature fluctuations, pests, and weather hazards.
By following these guidelines and best practices, cigar enthusiasts can confidently store their collections in self-storage units, knowing that their cigars will age gracefully and be ready to enjoy whenever the time is right. Remember that proper storage and care will enhance the flavors and aromas of your cigars, offering a truly enjoyable smoking experience for years to come.