Storage units can help you keep your valuables secure
Storage units in Salisbury NC will keep your property secure and help keep the valuables in the best condition. Storage units can be a convenient and affordable way to store your belongings when you need extra space or are moving to a new home. However, storage units also come with some risks, such as water damage, mold, pests, and theft.
Common risks in storage units
- Theft: Your valuables can be stolen by burglars who break into your unit or force you to open it. You can prevent theft by choosing a secure storage facility, using sturdy locks, and avoiding storing highly valuable items.
- Damage: Your valuables can be damaged by water, fire, mold, pests, or improper handling. You can prevent damage by choosing a well-maintained storage facility, using quality packing materials, wrapping and covering your valuables, using wire racks or shelves, and labeling everything clearly.
- Loss: Your valuables can be lost due to the accidental deletion of data by the storage provider or a physical catastrophe that destroys the storage facility. You can prevent loss by choosing a reliable storage provider, keeping a backup of your data, using encryption and password protection, and purchasing insurance coverage.
- Spoilage: Your valuables can be spoiled by poor stock management or exposure to harmful substances. You can prevent spoilage by choosing a climate-controlled storage facility, using proper containers and packaging, storing your perishable items separately from other items, checking the expiration dates of your perishable items regularly, and avoiding storing items that contain harmful substances in storage.
To keep your belongings safe and secure in a storage unit, you need to follow some best practices and take some precautions. Here are some tips to help you protect your belongings in a storage unit.
Choose a Reputable Storage Facility
Not all storage facilities are created equal. Some may offer better security features, maintenance, and customer service than others. Before you rent a storage unit, do some research and compare different options. Look for a storage facility that has:
- A digital surveillance system that records the activity on the property 24/7
- A password-protected access system that requires a unique code at gates and doors
- Efficient lighting in all areas, both inside and outside the buildings
- A well-maintained property that is free of damage, debris, and pests
- Proper employee protocol that includes regular inspections, background checks, and customer assistance
You can also check online reviews, ratings, and testimonials from previous customers to get an idea of the quality and reputation of the storage facility.
Use Quality Packing Materials
The way you pack your belongings can make a big difference in how well they are protected in a storage unit. You should use quality packing materials that are durable, clean, and suitable for your items. Some packing materials you may need are:
- Sturdy cardboard boxes or plastic containers with lids
- Bubble wrap, packing paper, or foam peanuts for cushioning
- Plastic sheeting or tarps for covering
- Tape, scissors, labels, and markers for sealing and labeling
Avoid using plastic bags, newspapers, or thin cardboard boxes as they can tear easily and attract moisture and pests.
Wrap and Cover Your Belongings
To prevent dust, dirt, moisture, and pests from getting into your belongings, you should wrap and cover them properly. You can use plastic sheeting or tarps to cover large items such as furniture, mattresses, appliances, and electronics. You can also use bubble wrap or packing paper to wrap smaller items such as dishes, books, clothes, and ornaments. Make sure there are no gaps or holes in the wrapping or covering materials.
Use Wire Racks and Shelves
One of the best ways to protect your belongings in a storage unit is to use wire racks and shelves when possible. Wire racks and shelves can help you:
- Minimize floor contact and the risk of flood or water damage
- Maximize vertical space and storage capacity
- Organize items by category for easy access
- Ensure air circulation and ventilation
- Prevent stacks of boxes from collapsing or crushing
You can buy wire racks and shelves from hardware stores or online retailers. Alternatively, you can use wooden pallets to elevate your items from the floor.
Label Everything Clearly
Labeling your boxes and containers can help you keep track of your belongings and make it easier to find what you need. You should label everything clearly with:
- The contents of the box or container
- The room or area where the items belong
- Any special instructions or handling precautions
You can use labels, markers, stickers, or tags to label your boxes and containers. You should also make an inventory list of everything you store in the unit and keep a copy with you.
Purchase Insurance Coverage
Even if you follow all the best practices for protecting your belongings in a storage unit, there is still a chance that something unexpected could happen. That’s why it’s important to purchase insurance coverage for your stored items. Insurance coverage can help you:
- Recover the value of your belongings in case of damage or loss
- Protect yourself from liability in case of injury or property damage
- Comply with the terms and conditions of the storage facility
You can purchase insurance coverage from the storage facility or from your own insurance provider. Make sure you understand what is covered and what is not covered by the policy.
Follow These Best Practices for Protecting Your Belongings in Storage Units
Storage units can be a great solution for storing your belongings temporarily or long-term. However, you need to take some steps to ensure that your belongings are safe and secure in the unit. By following these best practices for protecting your belongings in storage units, you can reduce the risks of damage, loss, or theft and have peace of mind
Find the best storage units in Salisbury NC
Mr. Storage is locally owned and managed with affordable pricing. We have storage facilities in Concord, Salisbury, Harrisburg, Kannapolis NC, and Midland. Contact us today to reserve your unit.