Storage units can help collectors organize and showcase treasured items
Storage units in Harrisburg NC can help collectors keep their treasured items in the best condition. If you are a collector of coins, vinyl records, stamps, or any other items that have value and meaning to you, you know how important it is to store them properly. Not only do you want to protect them from damage, dust, and moisture, but you also want to display them in a way that showcases their beauty and uniqueness. However, finding the right storage solution for your collection can be challenging, especially if you have limited space or a large number of items. That’s why we have compiled some tips and ideas on how to store your collectibles in a storage unit, where you can keep them safe and accessible while also saving space at home.
Why Use a Storage Unit for Your Collection?
A storage unit can be a great option for collectors who need more space, security, and flexibility for their items. Here are some of the benefits of using a storage unit for your collection:
- You can choose the size and type of unit that suits your needs, whether you need a small locker or a large garage.
- You can access your unit whenever you want, without having to worry about disturbing anyone at home or making a mess.
- You can rent a climate-controlled unit that maintains a consistent temperature and humidity level, which is ideal for preserving sensitive items like paper, wood, or metal.
- You can keep your collection organized and categorized in your unit, using shelves, bins, boxes, or other containers that fit your items.
- You can enjoy peace of mind knowing that your collection is protected by security features like locks, alarms, cameras, and gates.
How to Store Different Types of Collectibles in a Storage Unit
Depending on what kind of items you collect, you may need different storage methods and materials to keep them in good condition. Here are some general guidelines on how to store some of the most common types of collectibles in a storage unit:
Coins are one of the most popular and valuable collectibles, but they are also prone to tarnishing, corrosion, scratching, and bending. To store coins properly in a storage unit, you should:
- Use coin holders, capsules, albums, folders, or cases that are designed for coin storage and fit the size and shape of your coins. Avoid using plastic bags or envelopes that can damage your coins or trap moisture.
- Label your coin holders with the name, date, mint mark, grade, and value of each coin. This will help you identify and inventory your coins easily.
- Store your coin holders on metal shelves or cabinets that are sturdy and stable. Avoid using wood or cardboard that can attract pests or mold.
- Keep your coins away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or magnetic fields that can fade or alter your coins.
Vinyl records are another popular and nostalgic collectible that requires special care and attention. To store vinyl records properly in a storage unit, you should:
- Use record sleeves, jackets, or cases that are made of acid-free paper or plastic that can protect your records from dust, scratches, and warping. Avoid using sleeves that are too tight or too loose they can damage your records or cause them to slide out.
- Store your records vertically in crates or boxes that are sturdy and spacious enough to hold them without bending or squeezing them. Avoid stacking your records horizontally or leaning them against the wall that can cause them to warp or crack.
- Keep your records away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or moisture that can fade or ruin your records.
Stamps are another common and diverse collectible that come in various shapes, sizes, colors, and designs. To store stamps properly in a storage unit, you should:
- Use stamp albums, pages, or mounts that are made of acid-free paper or plastic that can preserve your stamps without sticking to them or damaging their gum. Avoid using glue, tape, or staples that can harm your stamps or leave marks on them.
- Label your stamp albums with the name, country, year, and value of each stamp. This will help you identify and catalog your stamps easily.
- Store your stamp albums on metal shelves or cabinets that are sturdy and stable. Avoid using wood or cardboard that can attract pests or mold.
- Keep your stamps away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or moisture that can fade or ruin your stamps.
How to Showcase Your Collectibles in a Storage Unit
While storing your collectibles in a storage unit can keep them safe and organized, you may also want to display them in a way that reflects your personality and passion. Here are some ideas on how to showcase your collectibles in a storage unit:
- Use wall-mounted display cases, shelves, or racks that can hold your items securely and visibly. You can also use hooks, magnets, or brackets to hang your items on the wall.
- Use lighting fixtures, lamps, or LED strips that can illuminate your items and create a mood or atmosphere. You can also use colored lights or filters to enhance the appearance of your items.
- Use posters, banners, or signs that can decorate your unit and express your theme or style. You can also use stickers, labels, or tags to add information or details to your items.
- Use props, accessories, or furniture that can complement your items and create a scene or story. You can also use rugs, curtains, or cushions to add comfort and coziness to your unit.
Find the best storage units in Harrisburg NC
Storing your collectibles in a storage unit can be a smart and convenient way to keep them in good shape and enjoy them whenever you want. By following the tips and ideas above, you can create a storage unit that is not only functional but also fun and personal. Mr. Storage is locally owned and managed with affordable pricing. We have storage facilities in Concord, Salisbury, Harrisburg, Kannapolis NC, and Midland. Contact us today to reserve your unit.